Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Proverbs 5

I've had the Bible that I read for about the past 6 or 7 years. I love it because I've had it so long but I hate it because I underlined/highlighted in it. That probably sounds weird but sometimes when I'm reading it I get so excited about an underline/highlighted part that I don't pay attention to what else I'm reading because I want to get to the part I loved at some part of my Bible's life-which leads me to part two-SOME PART of my life. A lot of times the underlining no longer is meaningful to me and I was so excited to read it. I think I'll stick to writing down those favorite verses in a journal rather than underlining so I can remember when/why they were so important to me at the time.
ANYWAY! I love proverbs 5 as a married women. It talks all about adultery and how that can destroy your life. One of the most popular verses from this chapter is this-

May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer—may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love. Proverbs 5:18-19

If you're married, you probably know that verse. As you know if you've been reading through my Proverbs reflections (or anything having to do with God's Word) you know I love the Message. Something about it speaks so real to me and I love how it tells us how to love-

Your spring water is for you and you only, not to be passed around among strangers.Bless your fresh-flowing fountain! Enjoy the wife you married as a young man!Lovely as an angel, beautiful as a rose—don't ever quit taking delight in her body. Never take her love for granted! Proverbs 5:18-19

As a wife, I need to be reminded to not take Chris' love for granted. In the beginning and during dating years, I noticed EVERYTHING that he did for me. After 3 1/2 years of marriage, I don't look for them as often anymore. But that's not how God created marriage to be. He wants me to always delight in Chris and to be thankful for him and his love for me. He designed marriage PERFECTLY and if I follow His instructions-it will be a perfect love. Of course we all fall short but that's something I definitely want to strive for. Marriage is a serious covenant designed by God and I want our marriage to be pleasing to Him.

***BY THE WAY-if you don't have a Message Bible (I don't!), go to BibleGateway, type in what you want to look up and change it to The Message. There are times when I don't really know what to think about a verse and I'll change it to The Message or New Living Translation and it puts it into something that speaks to my heart. I LOVE NIV and all the verses I have memorized are NIV but I do like to see how other translations say it as well. Just thought you may like to know!***

No comments: